An iPhone might be the most wonderful thing that has happened to your tech-world, if you own one. But doesn’t it get too hot to handle at times? I’m talking about the overheating of course! Overheating is a major issue for most iPhone users. But every problem in the universe is born with some solutions, so is this! Lets look at the options and fixes available for the iPhone overheating issue.
Unlike other devices, iPhone tells you when its too heated up. A message saying “The iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it” will be displayed. This will freeze the device until it is cooled down by an appropriate level.
This article would suggest some ways to help cool down your precious iPhone a little.
Check for apps that might cause overheating: Your iPhone might be hosting certain apps that explicitly cause the heating. You can check if the iPhone gets heated up more when you use a specific app. If you find one such app, force close the app. ( Double tap your home button > Swipe left. When you find the app, swipe upwards. This will force close the app ) Once done, restart your phone.
In case this doesn’t work, delete the app and reinstall it again from the App Store.
Kill background apps: There are a number of applications that work or keep updating itself in the background. You might not always be aware of their functioning. These apps sometimes get the iPhone worked up too much and hence the overheating is caused. To make sure there are no apps running in the background, follow the following steps:
Step 1: From your Home Screen, navigate to Settings > General > Background App Refresh.
Step 2: Make sure the Background App Refresh is Off. This disables background running for all apps.
Hopefully this will cool down your device.
Update iOS: The overheating might be a software problem as well. Apple provides iOS updates that includes bug fixes. The heating might be caused by untimely updating of the device, i.e. if your device is running on an older version of iOS when a new, updated version is available. To update your device, do the following steps:
Step 1: From your Home Screen, navigate to Settings > General > Software Update.
Step 2: Tap on Download and Install.
It is advisable to continue with the update while you are connected to a Wi-Fi connection because the updates are usually large files.
Reset iPhone: Your last resort, in case none of the above methods seem to cool down your iPhone, is to reset its default settings and give it a fresh start. Before doing this, make sure you have made a backup of your important files in iCloud or iTunes.
Step 1: From your Home Screen, navigate to Settings > General > Reset.
Step 2: Tap on Erase All Contents and Settings.
This will take a while. All your iPhone contents and settings will be restored to default. Clearing up the phone might help in cooling it down as it takes off the load a little. Once the process is complete, your iPhone is as good as new.
Apart from these 4 methods, you could follow some quick tips to cool down your device.
- Avoid direct sunlight. Don’t keep the phone under direct sunlight, rather keep it in a bag.
- Avoid playing games continuously. iPhone overheating is also caused when there is continuous usage. As addictive it may be, games heat up the device pretty soon. It is advisable to stop playing games when you feel the device is heating up.
- Removing the case helps at times.
- Turn off the GPS when not in use. Navigate to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Switch it Off.
- Avoid overcharging. Many users leave their iPhone on charge overnight. As convenient as it sounds, it causes a lot of harm to the device and also is a reason for iPhone overheating.
- Turn off the Bluetooth, as it might release some heat. Navigate to Settings > Bluetooth. Switch it Off.
- Turn on the Airplane Mode. This mode cuts off the device from all network connections, helping the device to cool down. Navigate to Settings > Airplane Mode. Switch it Off.
Hope this article helped you with your iPhone overheating issue 🙂
Will keeping the iPhone near the AC cool an overheated iPhone?
Keeping an iPhone away from high heat sources does prevent it from overheating. In that context, keeping it in a cool environment should help as well.
Is it dangerous to speak on an heated iPhone?
Yes. Not only iPhone, speaking on a overheated mobile phone always leans towards danger. It is advisable to leave your device idle when it is heated too much, for it to cool down so you can use it again.