Instagram as we all know, is a free photo and video editing/sharing app available on iOS, Android and Windows Phones. You can post & edit videos, pictures, and check out other photos and videos. Lets dive deep into how to use Instagram.
Step 1: Download the Instagram app for iOS from the App Store, Android from Google Play Store or Windows Phone from the Windows Phone Store.
Once the app is installed, tap Open. Instagram app will open up( like in the following screens )
If you already have an account, just Log In.(You know the procedure). For those first timers: At the bottom of the screen, you can see- “Don’t have an account? Sign Up“. Tap on that. You will see this:
You can choose to Sign Up through your e-mail account or phone number ( The other way is Via. Facebook. Sign Up using your Facebook account and you have an Instagram account created for yourself. Once you are logged in, you’ll see the Instagram main page ). Once done, you will see your main Instagram page is similar to your “Facebook News Feed”. You’ll be able to see posts of those whom you follow. Like this:
You can keep scrolling to see more posts of those you follow.
- As you scroll through, you can like photos. Just double-tap on the photo- You’ll see a heart popping!
- You can comment on photos as well. Tap the conversation bubble below the photo as seen in the above image and type in your comment. To tag someone in that comment, type @<followed by their name>
- Use the arrow mark to share the picture or directly send the photo as a message to someone.
Using Instagram is a pleasure & very simple, as it nearly follows the Facebook way of navigation[ and yes, Instagram is now owned by Facebook 🙂 ]
Now, Lets take a look at those icons at the bottom of the app,
- Tapping on the house like icon always takes you to your home page.
- Tapping on the search glass icon allows you to search far deep inside Instagram & explore. The display you would see for your search will be something like this.
You can select any of the pictures and View it, Like it, Comment on it share share it. Once you tap on the photo, you will see a detailed view of the picture. You can also see the comments of others, the number of times its been liked by others etc.
- The next icon, is the Camera. Tapping on this will open your camera so that you can click your photos and upload them into your Instagram account. You can also upload videos in this same manner.
- Pressing on the Heart icon displays, who has started following you, who has left a comment or liked your picture or if any of your friends from Facebook have joined Instagram etc.
- Tapping on the User Icon takes you to your profile screen. You can checkout your posts, how many followers you have, how many you are following etc. Use the “Edit My Profile” option to edit your profile. On the top left corner is present a Hamburger icon to pull out your Menu options.
Stepping further into the MENU,
- Tapping on Invite Facebook friends, You can send invites to your Facebook friends to join Instagram.
- Invite Friends: Send personal invites to your phone contacts to join Instagram.
- You can find your friends on Facebook & follow them on Instagram.
- & you can also find other contacts(not in Facebook) on Instagram to follow.
Under Account you can do the following,
- You can edit your profile- Change your name, status display picture etc.
- Use the Change Password link to change the password of the Instagram account.
- You can See the posts that you have liked till now.
- & yes by enabling Private Account, people who you aren’t following can not see your posts.
Instagram has a lot many important Settings that you would need to play around with,
- Linked accounts, Shows how many accounts are linked with the present Instagram account.
- You can also choose the language you want your Instagram in.
- You can set your Push Notifications preference to how You’ll be notified by messages or prompts when someone leaves a comment or starts following you.
- The Cellular Data Use setting is important.You can Set the limit for the data usage limit for your Instagram account.
- Instagram is mainly about pictures & video. The Upload Quality setting empowers you to choose the quality of the media files to be uploaded ( to save on bandwidth )
- Once you have posted files on Instagram, if you want to save the images and videos on your phone, you can enable the Save Original Photos and videos option.
Support and About :
- Use the Instagram Help Center, to get in touch with the Instagram team to help you out with any problem you are facing on your Instagram account.
- Report any serious problem you notice on Instagram using the Report a Problem option.
- You can also disable Ads by tapping on that option & configuring it to your wish.
- The Blog option takes you to the Instagram blog on the official Instagram website.
- Open Source Libraries is an interesting initiative that shows the Open source stuff used in Instagram.
- Using the Clear Search History option, you can clear all the searches that you’ve made.
- You can also add accounts to this Instagram account and synchronize or choose to have one or more accounts.
- & Log out is for logging out from Instagram.
How to put video on Instagram? How to edit Instagram videos? Is there a video editor Instagram?
Putting videos on Instagram has already been explained in the above article ( Please scroll up for more info on How to put video on Instagram ). Instagram allows the videos that you upload to be of only 1 minute (Automatic clipping takes place). To have edited videos on Instagram, you have to previously edit them on a separate editing platform and them upload it to Instagram.
How do I print Instagram photos?
You can use the app called Print Studio ( which directly links to your Instagram account ). This enables you to connect your phone to a printer and you can print Instagram photos.
How do I open the Instagram photo editor & use it?
Instagram by default offers an editing tool and different filters to enhance your photos before you upload them. Once a picture is taken using the camera or uploaded, you can use the filters that show up to edit Instagram photo’s.
How to use Instagram for business?
There a variety of ways in which Instagram can be used for business. Start by getting more followers to your page, and start linking your prospective to your page by using “#hashtags”. Will keep this post updated on How to use Instagram for business.
How do I delete Instagram comment?
How to delete Instagram comment is pretty straight forward. Tap on your comment, you’ll see a trash can icon. Tap on that &your comment will be deleted.
Which phone has the best camera for Instagram?
Any Phone with a good Camera quality(HD 1080p) for capture and recording of photos, would be ideal for Instagram. I would personally say the phone that has the best camera for Instagram is iPhone 6.
How to create an Instagram photo album?
By default, there is no way you can create a photo album. But you can tag a similar location for photos you want to add in an album and while viewing, select that location and you can see the tagged images.
Is there a separate Instagram video app?
There are many unofficial video apps.But an official separate Instagram video app, none.